Present Board Members:
Steve Scrier, President
Denise Collins, Vice President
Ann Thiede, Treasurer
Patricia Schmitz, Secretary
Carol Sprague, Ways and Means
Steve Bettinger, Rules Committee
Karl Borst, Rules Committee
Theresa Barton, Publicity
Paul Barton, Safety
Minutes of October 5, 2009
Montgomery County Dive League Meeting
Silver Spring Community Library
1. Review of 2009 Dive Season
- The Board and representatives acknowledged and thanked Karl Borst for his many years of service to the League
- Comments and discussion regarding the new structure (4 Divisions) of the League conducted; all comments favorable
- Comments and discussion regarding coaches' clinics; requests made for more "in water" time and more time spent on advanced coaching techniques in order to coach higher DD dives
- Comments and discussion on Divisional and All Star meets. Suggestion made that back-up pools be identified in the event of emergency closures. Suggestion not adopted due to rarity of such events and likelihood that other pools will step-up as needed.
2. Suggestions for New or Changed Rules
- 2008 rules regarding DD of 0.8 for jumps to be retained
- Discussion of need for clarification of the term "assistance given" as reason for failed dive. For example, would adjustment of the fulcrum be considered giving assistance? General consensus is that adjusting the fulcrum is not giving assistance. Discussion clarified that assistance can be given by anyone present (parent, coach, teammate, spectator) and is determined by the referee. Other than assistance given after the set regarding clarification of the dive (which is a balk), all other assistance is a failed dive.
- Trial rules for 2009 season
* Dive sheets can be changed at the break for divers in the 13/14 and 15-18 age groups only, regardless of the placement of the break. Rationale for rule is to enhance safety to allow older divers a chance to warm-up and try out unfamiliar boards. There was no objection to continuing this rule for 2010 season.
* Requirement for dive number to be on sheets; failure to include dive number on the sheet results in declaration of a failed dive. No discussion of rule or proposal to revoke the rule.
- New proposed rules: no discussion of new rules conducted at the meeting (should await January board meeting); suggestions should be submitted to MCDL website, Rules Committee
3. 2010 Division Structure
- Motion to continue 4 Division structure into 2010 season carried.
4. Review 2010 Season Calendar
- Proposed calendar distributed at meeting; no discussion of this item.
5. Elections Candidates identified for each position (all running unopposed).
Past MCDL experience described.
Publicity is open.
Unanimous approval all candidates